By: Christine Finkey
The Career and Community Engagement Center is working with first year students on career planning by using the web-based program, Focus 2.
Focus 2 is a career planning package that gives assessments based on a student’s interest, values, abilities, and skills. The program also measures student’s career readiness and academic strengths.
Focus 2 gives students plenty of flexibility when going through the career planning process.
“Students can access it from any computer site,” said Doug Nichols, the head of Career Education at CCEC. “One of the nice features of (Focus 2), students can work at their pace. They can do part of it, get out, and go do whatever, and come back later and do more.”
The program is not limited to first year students only. Nichols encourages all students who are interested to self register for Focus 2.
To self register, follow these steps:
- Go to ship.edu/career
- Click on ‘students’ then ‘explore majors and careers’
- Click ‘here’ to register for Focus
- Type in ‘raiders’ and answer questions.
- Click ‘continue’
- Go to ‘welcome’ and do career planning readiness and my academic strengths.
- Do all self assessments for a complete profile.
- To get information, click on ‘Occupational Outlook Handbook’ link in ‘recommended tools and websites.’